These articles (1978-1989, presented in reverse chronological order) focus on building personal relationships, and the importance of multiple mentors. (Earlier research had highlighted successful mentoring for white males that focused on singular relationships that often lasted for just a few years, by contrast with the success of multiple mentorships, often lasting a lifetime, for women and people of color.) These articles also highlight the importance of building mentoring frameworks so that some individuals are not left out. One article offers guidance to mentees on seeking the mentoring they need.
- “A Nobel Prize Winner’s Life of Mentoring." Rowe, Mary. 2023. (Note: The essay has been shared by The Chronicle of Evidence-based Mentoring.)
- “Find Yourself the Mentoring You Need” (PDF). Rowe, Mary. 2009. (Note: This is an ombuds office self-help guide.)
- “What Actually Works? The One-to-One Approach” (PDF). Rowe, Mary P. In Educating the Majority: Women Challenge Tradition in Higher Education, edited by Carol S. Pearson, Donna L. Shavlik, and Judith G. Touchton, 375-384. American Council on Education/Macmillan, 1989.
- “Building ‘Mentoring’ Frameworks for Blacks (and Other People) as Part of an Effective Equal Opportunity Ecology” (PDF). Rowe, Mary. In Proceedings of the First National Conference on Issues Facing Black Administrators at Predominantly White Colleges and Universities, 1982. (Note: This was a revision of the article below.)
- “Building Mentorship Frameworks as Part of an Effective Equal Opportunity Ecology” (PDF). Rowe, Mary P. In Sex Discrimination in Higher Education: Strategies for Equality, edited by Jennifer Farley, 23-33. Ithaca, NY: New York State School of Industrial and Labor Relations, Cornell University, 1981.
- “Moving Up: Role Models, Mentors, and the ‘Patron System.’” Shapiro, Eileen C., Florence P. Haseltine, and Mary P. Rowe. Sloan Management Review Vol. 19, No. 3 (Spring 1978): 51-8.
- “Go Hire Yourself a Mentor.” Rowe, Mary P. In Proceedings of the NSF Conference on Women's Leadership and Authority, edited by Patricia Bourne and Velma Parness. University of California, Santa Cruz, CA: 1977. Also reprinted in Comment 10, No. 3 (March 1978): 2.