Selected Working Papers
- Zero to One: Sales Prospecting with Augmented Recommendation (with Saiquan Hu and Yuting Zhu).
Marketing Science, major revision.
Runner-Up (Yuting Zhu), 2022 ASA Statistics in Marketing Doctoral Research Award
Runner-Up (Yuting Zhu), 2021 Shankar-Spiegel Dissertation Proposal Award
- First Law of Motion: Influencer Video Advertising on TikTok (with Jeremy Yang and Yuhan Zhang).
Marketing Science, major revision.
Best Paper Award, 2021 JMS China Marketing Science Annual Conference
Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Award (Jeremy Yang), 2020 MSI Alden G. Clayton Doctoral Competition
- Genes and Sales (with Shiyang Gong, Qian Li, and Song Su).
Management Science, minor revision.
- Preference Learning and Demand Forecast (with Xinyu Cao).
Marketing Science, 2021, 40(1), 62-79.
Winner, 2021 John D. C. Little Award.
Finalist, 2021 Frank M. Bass Award.
- Tweeting as a Marketing Tool— Field Experiment in the TV Industry (with Shiyang Gong, Ping Zhao, and Xuping Jiang).
Journal of Marketing Research, 2017, 54(6), 833-850, lead article.
- Deadlines in Product Development.
Management Science, 2016, 62(11), 3310-3326.
- Learning from Experience, Simply (with Song Lin and John Hauser).
Marketing Science, 2015, 34(1), 1-19, lead article.
Media coverage: phys.org
Finalist, 2015 John D. C. Little Award.
- Why Do Sales People Spend So Much Time Lobbying for Low Prices? (with Duncan Simester).
Marketing Science, 2014, 33(6), 796-808.
Media coverage: INFORMS, phys.org, ComputerWorld.
Finalist, 2014 John D. C. Little Award.
- Days on Market and Home Sales (with Catherine Tucker and Ting Zhu).
RAND Journal of Economics, 2013, 44(2), 337-360.
- (De)marketing to Manage Consumer Quality Inferences (with Jeanine Miklos-Thal).
Journal of Marketing Research, 2013, 50(1), 55-69.
Media coverage: Knowledge@Wharton, Carta de Noticias.
- Consumer Deliberation and Product Line Design (with Liang Guo).
Marketing Science, 2012, 31(6), 995-1007.
- Rational Herding in Microloan Markets (with Peng Liu).
Management Science, 2012, 58(5), 892-912.
Media coverage: Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, Boston Herald, Forbes, Financial Times.
Finalist, 2022 INFORMS Society for Marketing Science Long Term Impact Award.
- How Does Popularity Information Affect Choices? A Field Experiment (with Catherine Tucker).
Management Science, 2011, 57(5), 828-842.
- The Perils of Behavior-Based Personalization.
Marketing Science, 2011, 30(1), 170-186.
Finalist, 2011. John D. C. Little Award.
- Why Are Bad Products So Hard to Kill? (with Duncan Simester).
Management Science, 2010, 56(7), 1161-1179.
- Growing Two-Sided Networks by Advertising the User Base: A Field Experiment (with Catherine Tucker).
Marketing Science, 2010, 29(5), 805-814.
- The Sound of Silence: Observational Learning in the U.S. Kidney Market.
Marketing Science, 2010, 29(2), 315-335.
Media coverage: Slate.
Winner, 2019 INFORMS Society for Marketing Science Long Term Impact Award.
Finalist, 2016, 2017, 2018 INFORMS Society for Marketing Science Long Term Impact Award.
Winner, 2010 Frank M. Bass Award.
Finalist, 2010 John D. C. Little Award.
- Designing Pricing Contract for Boundedly Rational Customers: Does the Framing of the Fixed Fee Matter? (with Teck-Hua Ho).
Management Science, 2008, 54(4), 686-700.
- Economic Foundations of Marketing Strategy (with J. Miguel Villas-Boas). In The Routledge Companion to Strategic Marketing, Bodo B. Schlegelmilch and Russell S Winer (Ed.), Routledge, 2021.
- Observational Learning: The Sound of Silence. In Encyclopedia of the Sciences of Learning, Norbert M. Seel (Ed.), Springer, 2012. Book available at MIT Libraries.