My primary research focuses on explaining the dynamics of organizational capabilities, specifically: why do firms in the same market show persistent heterogeneity in capabilities and performance? I study capability development and erosion and its interaction with managerial learning through fieldwork, simulation modeling, and laboratory experiments. I have shown that organizational learning in the presence of feedback delays can lead to suboptimal capability configurations. Furthermore, I find that significantly different capability erosion rates across organizations emerge as a by-product of common managerial decision rules, and lead to variations in performance. In addition, I connect the capability dynamics within the firm with market-level forces to explain how investments in capabilities are contingent upon the competitive landscape. Results identify conditions in which it is optimal to focus on investments that have fast payoff even though they may starve investment in the capabilities needed to thrive over the long term. I also carry out empirical studies to ground and test these theoretical contributions, including studies in product development, project management, maintenance, manufacturing, and construction.
My other research streams include public health, and methodology for dynamic modeling. My public health research ranges from biological modeling of human growth and body weight dynamics to organizational challenges in implementing and sustaining health-related capabilities. To surmount various modeling challenges in my projects, I also push forward the methodological frontiers. For example, I have developed a general method to estimate new models based on results from prior research publications. This method relaxes restrictive assumptions of traditional meta-analysis, enabling a much wider range of studies to be considered, including studies that are mis-specified or face other threats to their validity. Other methodological contributions include comparing different modeling architectures and aggregation choices, new methods to build aggregate models based on micro-dynamics, and a few projects on estimation of dynamic models.
- "Weather, air pollution, and SARS-CoV-2 transmission: a global analysis" Xu R, Rahmandad H, Gupta M, DiGennaro C, Ghaffarzadegan N, Amini H, Jalali MS (Forthcoming). Lancet Planetary Health.
- "Delays impair learning and can drive convergence to inefficient strategies." Rahmandad, Hazhir, and Michael Shayne Gary. (Forthcoming) Organization Science.
- "Evolution and Reproducibility of Simulation Modeling in Epidemiology and Health Policy over Half a Century."Jalali MS, DiGennaro C, Guitar A, Lew K, Rahmandad H (Forthcoming) Epidemiologic Reviews.
- "Behavioral dynamics of COVID‐19: estimating underreporting, multiple waves, and adherence fatigue across 92 nations." Rahmandad H, Lim T, Sterman J (2021) System Dynamics Review 37(1):5-31.
- "What makes dynamic strategic problems difficult? Evidence from an experimental study. " Rahmandad H, Denrell J, Prelec D (2021) Strategic Management Journal 42(5):865-897.
- "Simulation-based estimation of the early spread of COVID-19 in Iran: actual versus confirmed cases." Ghaffarzadegan, N., Rahmandad, H. (2020) System Dynamics Review, 36(1):101-129
- "If higher pay is profitable, why is it so rare? Modeling competing strategies in mass market services." Rahmandad, H. and Z. Ton. (2020) Organization Science, 31(5):1053-1071.
- “Explaining heterogeneity in the organization of scientific work.” Rahmandad, Hazhir, Vakili, Keyvan (2019) Organization Science 30(6): 1125-1145
- "Interdependence, Complementarity, and Ruggedness of Performance Landscapes." Rahmandad, Hazhir (2019). Strategy Science 4 (3): 234-249.
- “Dynamics of Intervention Adoption, Implementation, and Maintenance Inside Organizations: the Case of an Obesity Prevention Initiative.” Jalali, M.S., H. Rahmandad, S.L. Bullock, S.H. Lee-Kwan, J. Gittlesohn, A. Ammerman (2019). Social Science and Medicine, 224 (3): 67-76.
- "Making the Numbers? 'Short Termism' and the Puzzle of Only Occasional Disasters." Rahmandad, Hazhir, Nelson Repenning, and Rebecca Henderson. Management Science. 64 (3): 1328-1347.
- "Modeling and estimating the feedback mechanisms among depression, rumination, and stressors in adolescents." Hosseinichimeh, N., Wittenborn, A. K., Rick, J., Jalali, M. S., & Rahmandad, H. (2018). PloS one, 13(9), e0204389.
- "How Exposure to Different Opinions Impacts the Life Cycle of Social Media." Rad, Armin A., Mohammad S. Jalali, and Hazhir Rahmandad. Annals of Operations Research. 268(1-2): 63-91.
- "A Flexible Method for Aggregation of Prior Statistical Findings." Rahmandad, Hazhir, Mohammad S. Jalali, and Kamran Paynabar. PLoS One Vol. 12, No. 4 (2017): e0175111.
- "Estimating Parameters of System Dynamics Models Using Indirect Inference."Hosseinichimeh, Niyousha, Hazhir Rahmandad, Mohammad S. Jalali, and Andrea K. Wittenborn. System Dynamics Review Vol. 32, No. 2 (2016): 156-180.
- "Capability Erosion Dynamics." Rahmandad, Hazhir and Nelson P. Repenning. Strategic Management Journal Vol. 37, No. 4 (2016): 649-672.
- "Depression as a Systemic Syndrome: Mapping the Feedback Loops of Major Depressive Disorder." Wittenborn, Andrea, Hazhir Rahmandad, Jennifer Rick, and Niyousha Hosseinichimeh. Psychological Medicine Vol. 46, No. 3 (2016): 551-562.
- "Social Influence in Childhood Obesity Interventions: A Systematic Review."Jalali, Mohammed S., Zahra Sharafi-Avarzaman, Hazhir Rahmandad, Alice S. Ammerman. Obesity Reviews Vol. 17, No. 9 (2016): 820-832.
- "Connecting Strategy and System Dynamics: An Example and Lessons Learned." Rahmandad, Hazhir. System Dynamics Review Vol. 31, No. 3 (2015): 149-172.
- "Inter-phase Feedbacks in Construction Projects." Parvan, Kiavash, Hazhir Rahmandad, and Ali Haghani. Journal of Operations Management Vol. 39-40, (2015): 48-62.
- "Modeling the Hypothalamus–Pituitary–Adrenal Axis: A Review and Extension." Hosseinichimeh, Niyousha, Hazhir Rahmandad and Andrea K. Wittenborn. Mathematical Biosciences Vol. 268, (2015): 52-65.
- "Understanding Econo-Political Risks: Impact of Sanctions on an Automotive Supply Chain." Davarzani, Hoda, Reza Zanjirani Farahani and Hazhir Rahmandad. International Journal of Operations & Production ManagementVol. 35, No. 11 (2015): 1567-1591.
- "Modeling Social Norms and Social Influence in Obesity." Shoham, David A., Ross Hammond, Hazhir Rahmandad, Youfa Wang and Peter Hovmand. Current Epidemiology Reports Vol. 2, No. 1 (2015): 71-79.
- "Measuring Dynamic Efficiency of Highway Maintenance Operations." Fallah-Fini, Saeideh, Konstantinos Triantis, Hazhir Rahmandad and Jesus M. de la Garza. Omega Vol. 50, (2015): 18-28.
- "Human Growth and Body Weight Dynamics: An Integrative Systems Model."Rahmandad, Hazhir. PlosOne Vol. 9, No. 12 (2014): 1-22.
- "Modeling US Adult Obesity Trends: A System Dynamics Model for Estimating Energy Imbalance Gap." Fallah-Fini, Saeideh, Hazhir Rahmandad, Terry T. K. Huang, Regina M. Bures and Thomas A. Glass. American Journal of Public Health Vol. 104, No. 7 (2014): 1230-1239.
- "Dynamic Interplay Among Homeostatic, Hedonic, and Cognitive Feedback Circuits Regulating Body Weight." Hall, Kevin D., Ross A. Hammond and Hazhir Rahmandad. American Journal of Public Health Vol. 104, No. 7 (2014): 1169-1175.
- "Connecting Micro Dynamics and Population Distributions in System Dynamics Models." Saeideh Fallah-Fin, Hazhir Rahmandad, Hsin-Jen Chen and Youfa Wang. System Dynamics Review 29(4): 197-215.
- "Best-fitting Prediction Equations for Basal Metabolic Rate: Informing Obesity Interventions in Diverse Populations." Sabounchi, N.S., Hashir Rahmandad and A. Ammerman. International Journal of Obesity Vol. 37, No. 10 (2013): 1364-1370.
- "Reconciling Statistical and Systems Science Approaches to Public Health." Ip, Edward H., Hazhir Rahmandad, David A. Shoham, Ross Hammond, Terry T. K. Huang, Youfa Wang and Patricia L. Mabry. Health Education Behavior Vol. 40, No. 1 (2013): 123-131.
- "Impact of Growth Opportunities and Competition on Dynamics of Capability Development." Rahmandad, Hazir. Organization Science Vol. 23, No. 1 (2012): 138-154.
- "Reporting Guidelines for Simulation-based Research in Social Sciences."Rahmandad, Hazir and John D. Sterman. System Dynamics Review Vol. 28, No. 4 (2012): 396–411.
- "Joint Pricing and Openness Decisions in Software Markets with Reinforcing Loops." Rahmandad, Hazhir and Soheil Sibdari. System Dynamics Review Vol. 28, No. 3 (2012): 209–229.
- "Factors Influencing the Risk of Falls in Construction Industry: A Review of Evidence." Hu, Kun, Hazhir Rahmandad, Tonya Smith‐Jackson and Woodrow Winchester. Construction Management and Economics Vol. 29, No. 4 (2011): 397-416.
- "Development of an Individual-based Model for Polioviruses: Implications of the Selection of Network Type and Outcome Metrics." Rahmadad, Hazhir, Kun Hu, R.J. Duintjer Tebbems and K. M. Thompson. Epidemiology and Infection Vol. 139, No. 6 (2011): 836-848.
- "Mapping the Dynamics of Overall Equipment Effectiveness to Enhance Asset Management." Zuashkiani, Ali, Hazhir Rahmandad and Andrew K.S. Jardine. Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering Vol. 17, No. 1 (2011): 74-92.
- "Optimizing Highway Maintenance Operations: Dynamic Considerations."Fallah-Fini, Saeideh, Hazhir Rahmandad, Konstantinos Triantis and Jesus M. de la Garza. System Dynamics Review Vol. 26, No. 3 (2010): 216-238.
- "Modeling the Rework Cycle: Capturing Multiple Defects per Task." Rahmandad, Hazhir and Kun Hu. System Dynamics Review Vol. 26, No. 4 (2010): 291-315.
- "Effects of Feedback Delay on Learning." Rahmandad, Hazhir, Nelson P. Repenning, and John D. Sterman. System Dynamics Review Vol. 25, No. 4 (2009): 309-338.
- "Dynamics of Concurrent Software Development." Rahmandad, Hazhir and D. Weiss. System Dynamics Review Vol. 25, No. 3 (2009): 224-249.
- "Effect of Delays on Complexity of Organizational Learning." Rahmandad, Hazhir. Management Science Vol. 54, No. 7 (2008): 1297-1312.
- "Heterogeneity and Network Structure in the Dynamics of Diffusion: Comparing Agent-Based and Differential Equation Models." Rahmandad, Hazhir and John D. Sterman. Management Science Vol. 54, No. 5 (2008): 998-1014.
- Analytical Methods for Dynamic Modelers. Rahmandad, Hazhir, Rogelio Oliva and Nathaniel D. Osgood. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2015.